Thigh lift surgery reshapes the thighs by reducing excess skin and fat, resulting in smoother skin and better-proportioned contours of the thighs and lower body.
Aging, loss of skin tone, and changes in body weight all cause accumulation of excess thigh tissue. With diet and exercise alone, it can be difficult or even impossible to slim down these areas. If you are motivated improve your thighs, we’d love to hear from you at our Bay Area plastic surgery office.
If fitness and weight control efforts have not achieved your goals for a body that is firmer, more youthful-looking and more proportionate to your overall body image, a surgical lift may be right for you.
Benefits of Thigh Lift
- Slimmer and more toned thighs
- Relieves rubbing of inner thighs
- Tightens bothersome loose skin
Thigh lifts are not intended strictly for the removal of excess fat. Liposuction alone can remove excess fat deposits where skin has good elasticity and is able to naturally conform to new body contours.
In cases where skin elasticity is poor, a thigh lift along with liposuction may be recommended.
Who is a good candidate for thigh lift surgery?
In general, candidates for a thigh lift are:
- People whose weight is relatively stable
- Individuals with excess soft tissue along the inner (medial) thigh region and/or the outer (lateral) thigh
- Healthy individuals who do not have medical conditions that impair healing or increase risk of surgery
- Individuals with a positive outlook and realistic goals for what thigh lift surgery can accomplish
- Individuals committed to leading a healthy lifestyle, including proper nutrition and fitness
Thigh lift surgery
During a thigh lift surgery, we use a combination of liposuction and excision (tissue removal) to significantly improve the size, shape and contour of your thighs. Additional body contouring procedures may be performed in conjunction with a thigh lift to create an overall slimmer appearance.
Loose skin and fat on the thighs will be removed and tightened, and liposuction will remove localized fat deposits. After reshaping the thighs, incisions are closed and temporary drains are put in place. The tighs are then wrapped in gauze and an elastic bandage.
When choosing a board-certified plastic surgeon in your area for a thigh lift, remember that the surgeon’s experience and your comfort with him or her are just as important as the final cost of the surgery.
preparation for thigh lift surgery:
In preparing for thigh lift surgery, you may be asked to:
- Get lab testing or a medical evaluation
- Take certain medications or adjust your current medications
- Stop smoking
- Avoid taking aspirin, anti-inflammatory drugs and herbal supplements or other medications that may increase bleeding
types of thigh surgery
There are two types of thigh lift procedures, medial and standard:
- Medial thigh lift is a surgical procedure to reduce excess skin and fat on the upper portion of the inner thigh giving a firmer appearance. It is performed by removing a crescent of skin and fat from the upper portion of the inner thigh creating a horizontal scar.
- Standard thigh lift includes the removal of excess loose skin and fat to reshape, tone, and firm the upper leg; generally as a result of weight loss. The scar in this procedure is oriented both vertically and horizontally.
During your recovery from thigh lift surgery, dressings/bandages may be applied to your incisions following the procedure.
Small, thin tubes may be temporarily placed under the skin to drain excess fluid or blood that may collect.
Results of thigh lift surgery
The results of a thigh lift are visible almost immediately. However, it may take several months for the final results to fully develop.
Following a thigh lift, skin quality is improved both in appearance and feel.
Some visible scars will remain, but the overall results are long lasting, provided that you maintain a stable weight and general fitness.
As your body ages, it is natural to lose some firmness. However, most of your initial improvement should remain.